The Ministry of Justice has published the 92nd update to the Civil Procedure Rules with The Civil Procedure (Amendment) Rules 2017, SI 2017/889 together with three different Practice Direction Amendments Making Documents, the 89th, 90th and 91st updates. A fourth Making Document is due to published this month.
What are the changes?
The changes include the following:
- changes to CPR 3 to add new case management powers to enable proceedings in the High Court to be heard by a Divisional Court
- changes to CPR 47 in relation to detailed assessment. Changes refer to the practice direction and therefore it may be that the fourth Making Document, yet to be published, makes changes to CPR PD 47
- NEW: Practice direction 51Q—The County Court advisers pilot scheme. This can be found in the 89th Update Making document
- NEW: Practice direction 51R—online court pilot. This can be found in the 90th Update Making document
- NEW: Practice direction 51S—County Court online pilot
- changes to CPR 78 due to the new European Small Claims procedure regulation (EC) 861/2007 which came into force on 14 July 2017
- changes to CPR 83 to deal with the Immigration Act 2014
- changes to various rules to reflect the new Circuit Commercial court which replaces the Mercantile court
- changes to various rules to reflect the closure of various County Court hearing centres
When do the changes come into force?
The amendments to the CPR rules come into force on Sunday 1 October 2017. The three Making documents came into force on the following dates:
- 89th update: 8 August 2017
- 90th update: 8 August 2017
- 91st update: 31 August 2017
In relation to the pilot schemes these came into force on the following dates:
- Practice direction 51Q—The County Court advisers pilot scheme. This applies to claims started in the County Court Business Centre and the County Court Money Claims centres (CCMCC) since 29 July 2017
- Practice direction 51R—online court pilot is to run from 7 August 2017 to 30 November 2019
- Practice direction 51S—County Court online pilot comes into force on Tuesday 12 September 2017